Bluebird's Healthy CBD S'more Recipe
Hold up - a healthy s’more? Does that exist?
Yes, my friend. Yes it does.
And no, we’re not calling it “healthy” simply because we’re adding CBD into this flavor equation. With just a bit of extra prep work and a little DIY spirit, we’ll show you how to take traditional s’mores and make a healthy, CBD alternative.
Does healthy mean it’s going to sacrifice the saccharine goodness of this tried-and-true crowd-pleaser? Heck to the nah. Thanks to some creative minds and quality ingredients, a healthier s’more option is just around the corner for your tastebuds.
Read on for Bluebird’s Healthy S’more Recipe with CBD.
Healthy Homemade Marshmallows
First thing’s first: we’ve got to tackle those sugar-loaded marshmallows.
While you definitely don’t have to be an overachiever and replace your regular ole monkeybrains with a healthy option (after all, those mallows do toast perfectly golden brown), we wanted to give all you health-conscious flock members an option that could truly work for you.
If you want, you can skip ahead to the rest of our healthier CBD s’more recipe using just regular marshmallows.
This recipe comes to us from one of our favorites, The Wellness Mama. It’s kid-tested, mother-approved - and may even taste better than the real thing. Keep in mind these homemade mallows should be stored at room temperature in an airtight container, not in the fridge. They’ve got a shelf life of 2-3 weeks without probiotics or 2-3 days if you decide to utilize probiotics.
Related Article: Bluebird Botanicals’ Favorite Wellness Apps and Podcasts
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup gelatin powder
- 1 cup honey or maple syrup (you can even use Colorado Hemp Honey for a little extra serving of CBD)
- 2 tsp vanilla, almond or other flavor option e.g. mint or lemon extract, cocoa powder, etc.
- Optional: 1 tablespoon marshmallow root powder, or substitute matcha powder, elderberry, or other flavor preference (see Additional Customizations)
- Optional: 4 capsules of probiotics (please note this substantially shortens the shelf life)
- If using marshmallow root powder or other customization, combine 1 cup of warm water with 1 cup of your chosen powder and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup of your prepared mix or ½ cup of warm water into a bowl. Slowly whisk in the ¼ cup gelatin powder and set mixture aside.
- Pour the other ½ cup of water and 1 cup of honey, and other flavor powder if using, into a small saucepan and whisk to combine.
- Slowly bring the water and honey mixture to a boil while stirring continuously. Aim for the mixture to reach at least 240°F. If you don’t have a thermometer, just heat over medium, constantly stirring for 8 minutes.
- Blend water/gelatin mixture on medium speed as you slowly add honey/water mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Once honey mix is added, switch mixer to high and mix for another 10-15 minutes or until it becomes a cream with the consistency of marshmallow cream, forming stiff peaks.
- If you are planning to add your probiotics, add them in for the last two minutes of blending.
- Pour the mixture into a greased or parchment paper-lined 9x13 inch baking dish, making sure to evenly distribute.
- Let rest at least 4 hours, or ideally overnight.
- Flip onto a cutting board and cut with a well-oiled pizza cutter or knife.
Now, onto the rest of the campfire favorite goodness.
Upgrading your Grahams
Like marshmallows, most graham crackers leave a bit to be desired in the health department. While there are a couple healthier options (we like Mi-Del Honey Grahams, made with whole wheat flour with 3 grams of fiber and just 6 grams of sugar, or Julian Bakery’s Paleo Thin Crackers, made with almond flour and boasting 2 grams of fiber as well as flaxseed), Bluebird also wanted to give you the option to make this a truly DIY endeavor and create your own graham crackers from scratch as well. Here’s how.
If you prefer, you can also skip ahead to the rest of our healthier CBD s’more recipe and use one of the healthier graham cracker alternatives above.
Graham Cracker Ingredients
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat or oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sucanat or regular sugar
- 1/8 teaspoons uncut stevia OR 2 more tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Combine wet vanilla extract; maple syrup, honey or agave; coconut or vegetable oil; and water.
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients.
- Form a ball with your hands.
- Place the ball on a piece of wax paper, then place another sheet on top and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into very thin (graham-cracker) width.
- Cut into squares set on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, depending on whether you like your graham crackers super-soft or crispy.
Without further ado...the CBD S’more Recipe
This is the recipe you’re looking for.
CBD S'more Ingredients
- 1 dark chocolate (70% cacao) chocolate bar
- Bluebird Botanicals Hemp Classic CBD Oil or THC-Free* Oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Rectangular chocolate mold
- All-natural marshmallows or your homemade healthy mallows
- Healthier graham crackers, store bought or your healthy homemade variety
- A campfire or broiler setting on your oven
- Heat your dark chocolate and butter by microwaving for 2 minutes or heat over low on the stovetop, stirring constantly, until evenly melted.
- Lightly whisk your Hemp Classic CBD Oil or THC-Free* Oil into the melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Pour mixture into your chocolate mold and set aside to harden.
- Once chocolate has hardened, break into graham cracker-sized pieces and set on top of your crackers.
- Toast your mallows over the fire or broil on low in the oven (check back frequently to ensure you don’t over-crisp these babies).
- Grab another graham cracker and smush your mallow CBD chocolate sandwich together!
In your mallows
Matcha powder: For an unexpected twist on the classic favorite, try adding matcha powder into your healthier mallows.
Elderberry syrup: Elderberry is another great option to sub in for marshmallow root powder in your homemade marshmallows, especially as we head into the winter months.
For your s’mores
Want to add even more healthy, delicious goodness to your DIY CBD s’mores? Try swapping out your graham crackers for toasted sesame crackers or rice cakes, or consider some additional toppings:
Fresh fruit: Fresh strawberries can even stand in place of mallows, if you’re willing to forego the melted, gooey quality. Banana can also make a great addition, and still tastes divine with the mallows.
Hazelnut spread: CBD oil can easily be mixed into hazelnut spread, so this customization not only tastes delicious but also eliminates the workload associated with hardening your CBD oil into chocolate.